Popular Fort Worth Heritage Trailer Markers (Part 2)

Amon G. Carter 

Erected in 2006, the marker is located in Tarrant County on Main Street north of East 6th Street.

Amon Carter is known as the city’s most vigorous civic booster. Born in 1879, he moved to Fort Worth in 1905 when he accepted a job as an advertising space salesman. A few months later, he financed and run a newspaper in a town called Fort Worth Star. On the brink of going bankrupt, Carter bought his newspaper’s main competition, the Fort Worth Telegram for $100,000. The two newspapers combined were known as Fort Worth Star-Telegram and from then on until after World War II became the largest newspaper circulation in the South.

With his money and popularity, he became a national spokesman for Fort Worth and West Texas and popularized the phrase “Where the West Begins”, the motto for Fort Worth, Texas.

First Christian Church of Fort Worth

Bronze marker was erected in 1970 and is located at the intersection of Throckmorton Street and West 6th Street

First Christian is the oldest church in Fort Worth founded in 1855. The current building was erected in 1914 on the site of the former location. Its first pastor was Rev. A.M. Dean.

Reverend Dean was followed as pastor by Dr. Hall, a dentist, and by Dr. Mansell Mathews, a judge, and physician of Red River County. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. James K. Allen, Mrs. Francis M. Durrett, Mrs. Alfred D. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin P. Ayres, Mrs. Florence Peak, Stephen Terry, and Mr. and Mrs. William A. Sanderson.
 
The Atelier Building

Located in Tarrant County, the bronze marker was erected in 1980 and is a property of the Texas state.

The name “Atelier” is a French word for an artist’s studio. The building was developed by Thomas S. Weaver and its first occupant was a private bank, Hunter-Phelan Savings Bank & Trust Co, and Smith and Schenck, an architect’s office on the second floor.

The architect of the building is unknown although it is believed to be Smith and Schenk. There was a time that the building was the temporary location for the Consumer Insurance Report office. Its notable features include two square chimneys in the front of the building with terra cotta ornamentation. In 1980, the building was purchased by Cameron Alread who restored it and returned the space to use as an architect’s office.

In 2016, Barnett, Howard, & Williams, PLLC bought the building from Alread and converted it into their law office.

Cynthia Ann Parker

The bronze marker was erected in 2006 and is at the intersection of Main Street and 8th Street.

Cynthia Ann Parker, born October 28, 1827, was kidnapped from her home when she was around 10 by Comanche, a Native American war band. Parker was then adopted by the Comanches as their own and was later married to a Comanche chieftain. Living with the Comanche for 24 years, she forgot completely her white ways. 

In 1860, Parker and her daughter were captured by Texas Rangers and returned to the Parker family who live in Fort Worth. She tried to escape at least once to return to Comanche but was again brought back to Texas. Parker’s life was spent in sadness missing her life as a Comanche. She died due to self-starvation.