There is a total of 22 markers erected in Fort Worth Trail with more being added in the future.
Here is a list of popular trails to visit.
Fort Worth Library
The marker was erected in 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee and is located at the intersection of West 9th Street and Houston Street.
The idea to build for the city’s first library was formed when 20 women met at the home of Jennie Scott Scheuber. A civic leader, Scheuber pioneered the formation of the Fort Worth Library system. They received the required financial support from a Scottish American philanthropist and Industrialist Andrew Carnegie. The land was donated by Sarah J. Jennings and her husband, Thomas J. Jennings. Its first librarian was Mrs. Charles Schevber. The library opened its door in 1901.
African American History
The marker is erected in 2006 by Heritage Trails and City of Fort Worth. It is located at the intersection of 9th Street on Jones Street and Jones Street.
The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex has the second largest population of African-Americans in Texas. The first known African American business was a blacksmith shop owned by John Pratt. Formed in 1979, Fort Worth Metropolitan Black Chamber of Commerce was established to enhance economic development for its members and the Fort Worth community.
Thanks to Fraternal Bank & Trust Co. and the Masonic Lodge built by businessman William Madison McDonald, residents were able to purchase homes and start businesses. In 1918, Dr. Riley Ransom opened a hospital in 1918.
The marker was erected in 2006 by Heritage Trails and Fort Worth Star-Telegram and is located at the intersection of 8th Street and Main Street. It is just across from the entrance of the Hilton downtown.
President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy arrived in Fort Worth on November 21, 1963, and stayed at the Hotel Texas. Early the next morning, President Kennedy surprised and gave a speech to a crowd of 3,000 who had gathered hoping to see him. He was given the city’s traditional welcome gift – a Shady Oaks Western Hat. Following breakfast, on November 22, 1963, President Kennedy and his entourage left the hotel and started a motorcade through Dallas for a luncheon at the Trade Mart (Dallas Market Center). Five minutes away from their destination, President Kennedy was assassinated bringing shock and grief to Texas, to the United States, and the world.
Fort Worth’s First Flight
Located in the northwest corner of Carroll and Mercedes Streets. Marker erected in 2012.
Although the Wright brothers were already flying powered planes in 1903, most people still had not seen an airplane. In 1910, Amon G. Carter, a popular civic booster in Fort Worth asked John Moisant, founder of The Moisant International Aviators, a touring aerial demonstration team to come to Fort Worth. Roland Garros of Moisant International Tours then performed a powered flight in a Bleriot XI and became the first person to perform a powered flight in Fort Worth.
Encouraged by Amon Carter, the US Army service constructed training airfields called Everman by October 1917. The Royal Flying Corps also used the airfield for their pilot training. After World War 1, Everman Field became the first municipal airport at Fort Worth. The navy also built a dirigible mooring station which became a stop on transcontinental flights and later on became a training center for the civilian pilot training program.
The Wild Bunch
Located in Tarrant County, at the intersection of Main Street and East 6th Street, this marker is erected in 2006.
Photographer John Swartz is notable for taking the only known portrait of the notorious Wild Bunch, also known as Fort Worth Five. The gang posed in John’s studio in 1900 assuming after a few drinks since John’s studio was along the red-light district “Hell’s Half-Acre” which is known for its rowdy saloons and other illegal activities.
Unaware that the five young men were outlaws, Swartz posted the photo in his studio window and a detective recognized one of the men in the photos. Although the gang was in Fort Worth for two months, by the time the law enforcers issued the wanted poster, the elusive gang had moved on.