Heritage Trails

Architectural Diversity
East side of Main between 6th & 7th Streets

Fifteen log and two wood-frame buildings at Fort Worth (1849-53) were the city’s first permanent structures. A few brick buildings were added in the 1850s and construction of a stone courthouse was begun in 1860. Arrival of the railroad in 1876 made a variety of building materials easily available to the city, sparking interest in stylish architectural design trends already popular in established cities. Examples of stylistic diversity are 1) the land title building (Richardsonian Romanesque Revival, 1889); 2) Tarrant County courthouse (American Beaux-Arts, 1895); 3) Knights of Pythias Hall (19th c. Romanesque Revival, 1901); 4) Flatiron Building (Renaissance Revival/Prairie School, 1907); 5) Sinclair Building (Zigzag Moderne, 1930); 6) City Center Towers (Post-Modern, 1982/84); 7) Bass Hall (Vienna Secession/ Beaux-Arts Revival, 1998); 8) Palace 9 Theatre (Streamline Moderne Revival, 1998).