Blogging

Popular Fort Worth Heritage Trailer Markers (Part 2)

Amon G. Carter 

Erected in 2006, the marker is located in Tarrant County on Main Street north of East 6th Street.

Amon Carter is known as the city’s most vigorous civic booster. Born in 1879, he moved to Fort Worth in 1905 when he accepted a job as an advertising space salesman. A few months later, he financed and run a newspaper in a town called Fort Worth Star. On the brink of going bankrupt, Carter bought his newspaper’s main competition, the Fort Worth Telegram for $100,000. The two newspapers combined were known as Fort Worth Star-Telegram and from then on until after World War II became the largest newspaper circulation in the South.

With his money and popularity, he became a national spokesman for Fort Worth and West Texas and popularized the phrase “Where the West Begins”, the motto for Fort Worth, Texas.

First Christian Church of Fort Worth

Bronze marker was erected in 1970 and is located at the intersection of Throckmorton Street and West 6th Street

First Christian is the oldest church in Fort Worth founded in 1855. The current building was erected in 1914 on the site of the former location. Its first pastor was Rev. A.M. Dean.

Reverend Dean was followed as pastor by Dr. Hall, a dentist, and by Dr. Mansell Mathews, a judge, and physician of Red River County. Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. James K. Allen, Mrs. Francis M. Durrett, Mrs. Alfred D. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin P. Ayres, Mrs. Florence Peak, Stephen Terry, and Mr. and Mrs. William A. Sanderson.
 
The Atelier Building

Located in Tarrant County, the bronze marker was erected in 1980 and is a property of the Texas state.

The name “Atelier” is a French word for an artist’s studio. The building was developed by Thomas S. Weaver and its first occupant was a private bank, Hunter-Phelan Savings Bank & Trust Co, and Smith and Schenck, an architect’s office on the second floor.

The architect of the building is unknown although it is believed to be Smith and Schenk. There was a time that the building was the temporary location for the Consumer Insurance Report office. Its notable features include two square chimneys in the front of the building with terra cotta ornamentation. In 1980, the building was purchased by Cameron Alread who restored it and returned the space to use as an architect’s office.

In 2016, Barnett, Howard, & Williams, PLLC bought the building from Alread and converted it into their law office.

Cynthia Ann Parker

The bronze marker was erected in 2006 and is at the intersection of Main Street and 8th Street.

Cynthia Ann Parker, born October 28, 1827, was kidnapped from her home when she was around 10 by Comanche, a Native American war band. Parker was then adopted by the Comanches as their own and was later married to a Comanche chieftain. Living with the Comanche for 24 years, she forgot completely her white ways. 

In 1860, Parker and her daughter were captured by Texas Rangers and returned to the Parker family who live in Fort Worth. She tried to escape at least once to return to Comanche but was again brought back to Texas. Parker’s life was spent in sadness missing her life as a Comanche. She died due to self-starvation. …

Blogging

Popular Fort Worth Heritage Trailer Markers (Part 1)

There is a total of 22 markers erected in Fort Worth Trail with more being added in the future.

Here is a list of popular trails to visit.

Fort Worth Library

The marker was erected in 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee and is located at the intersection of West 9th Street and Houston Street.

The idea to build for the city’s first library was formed when 20 women met at the home of Jennie Scott Scheuber. A civic leader, Scheuber pioneered the formation of the Fort Worth Library system. They received the required financial support from a Scottish American philanthropist and Industrialist Andrew Carnegie. The land was donated by Sarah J. Jennings and her husband, Thomas J. Jennings. Its first librarian was Mrs. Charles Schevber. The library opened its door in 1901.

African American History 

The marker is erected in 2006 by Heritage Trails and City of Fort Worth. It is located at the intersection of 9th Street on Jones Street and Jones Street.

The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex has the second largest population of African-Americans in Texas. The first known African American business was a blacksmith shop owned by John Pratt. Formed in 1979, Fort Worth Metropolitan Black Chamber of Commerce was established to enhance economic development for its members and the Fort Worth community. 

Thanks to Fraternal Bank & Trust Co. and the Masonic Lodge built by businessman William Madison McDonald, residents were able to purchase homes and start businesses. In 1918, Dr. Riley Ransom opened a hospital in 1918.
 
JFK 

The marker was erected in 2006 by Heritage Trails and Fort Worth Star-Telegram and is located at the intersection of 8th Street and Main Street. It is just across from the entrance of the Hilton downtown.

President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy arrived in Fort Worth on November 21, 1963, and stayed at the Hotel Texas. Early the next morning, President Kennedy surprised and gave a speech to a crowd of 3,000 who had gathered hoping to see him. He was given the city’s traditional welcome gift – a Shady Oaks Western Hat. Following breakfast, on November 22, 1963, President Kennedy and his entourage left the hotel and started a motorcade through Dallas for a luncheon at the Trade Mart (Dallas Market Center). Five minutes away from their destination, President Kennedy was assassinated bringing shock and grief to Texas, to the United States, and the world.

Fort Worth’s First Flight

Located in the northwest corner of Carroll and Mercedes Streets. Marker erected in 2012.

Although the Wright brothers were already flying powered planes in 1903, most people still had not seen an airplane. In 1910, Amon G. Carter, a popular civic booster in Fort Worth asked John Moisant, founder of The Moisant International Aviators, a touring aerial demonstration team to come to Fort Worth. Roland Garros of Moisant International Tours then performed a powered flight in a Bleriot XI and became the first person to perform a powered flight in Fort Worth.

Encouraged by Amon Carter, the US Army service constructed training airfields called Everman by October 1917. The Royal Flying Corps also used the airfield for their pilot training. After World War 1, Everman Field became the first municipal airport at Fort Worth. The navy also built a dirigible mooring station which became a stop on transcontinental flights and later on became a training center for the civilian pilot training program.

The Wild Bunch

Located in Tarrant County, at the intersection of Main Street and East 6th Street, this marker is erected in 2006.

Photographer John Swartz is notable for taking the only known portrait of the notorious Wild Bunch, also known as Fort Worth Five. The gang posed in John’s studio in 1900 assuming after a few drinks since John’s studio was along the red-light district “Hell’s Half-Acre” which is known for its rowdy saloons and other illegal activities.

Unaware that the five young men were outlaws, Swartz posted the photo in his studio window and a detective recognized one of the men in the photos. Although the gang was in Fort Worth for two months, by the time the law enforcers issued the wanted poster, the elusive gang had moved on.…